Over the last year, staycations have exploded in popularity – and with such gorgeous scenery on our doorstep here in the UK, it’s easy to see why. But many of us will be unfamiliar with staycations, used to jetting off to sunnier climes instead. Just because you might be holidaying at home this year, doesn’t mean it can’t be full of fun. After all, there’s no worrying about suitcase weight restrictions, travel bottles and finding your passport!
If you’re wondering what to pack for a staycation holiday, you’re in the right place. We’re here to pack your luggage full to the brim with ideas to make sure you’re prepared.
1. Suitable clothing – and enough of it
Ah, the great British weather. Like it or loathe it, we all know how changeable it can be. While packing for a beach holiday might be a simple case of packing a bikini and sunscreen, packing for a staycation takes a little more thinking about. Essentially, you need to pack for all weather – hot, rainy, cold – and depending on where you’re going, you could even be packing for snow! Make sure you take a wide selection of clothing so that you’re not caught short.
2. Food and drink supplies for the ultimate staycation picnic
Whether you’re heading to the park or dining on the beach, you can’t beat eating alfresco. When you’re busy getting the kids ready to go, it can be so easy to forget things, but here are a few helpful tips to get you started.
1. Make dressings in jam jars before the day to pop in your picnic hamper.
2. Pop some ice cubes in a thermos flask so that you can keep your drinks cool, or invest in a Prosecco bottle ice bag.
3. Invest in some good quality bamboo plates – they’re super light and virtually unbreakable.
4. Don’t forget your favourite drinks, either pre-made or ready to go. We like this Raspberry Lemonade recipe that’s perfect for a picnic and full of summer staycation vibes.
5. An Insta-worthy chopping board – because there are no luggage restrictions, and we can all appreciate a fancy picnic shot, can’t we?
6. Don’t forget a comfy deck chair, a grass or sand drinks holder and a portable speaker to play your favourite tunes.
3. A portable barbecue for a real holiday feel
When the sun’s beating down and summer’s in the air, nothing beats a bit of food cooked over coals. Spice up your staycation with some barbecue food and your favourite cocktails. If you’re looking for an environmentally friendlier alternative to a disposable barbecue, a portable one could be the answer.
4. A good weekend bag to carry all your staycation essentials
A quality weekend bag is the ultimate staycation must-have, allowing you to carry around all your travel essentials with ease. While you might have hoped for a break in the Maldives to break your travel drought, it’s more likely you’ll be holidaying at home this year. So, finding a bag that works for wherever you visit is key. The three things to look for? Durability, a waterproof outer, and of course, on-trend.
5. Games for a rainy day
With unpredictable weather being a distinct possibility, pack a range of fun games and get ready to put on your competitive hat. We love Banagrams and Pass the Pigs, but there are loads of family games out there to keep you all busy. Check out these board games best-sellers from Amazon for some inspo.