Dust off the grill and get your apron at the ready, the sun is here and it’s time for a summer BBQ! Whether you’re planning a small get-together with friends or a full-on summer party, one thing is for sure – following a BBQ party checklist will make your event go with a bang.
So, without further ado, here’s our BBQ shopping list, designed to make you feel prepared and help your summer BBQ go smoothly.
Beverages for the BBQ party checklist
It wouldn’t be a barbecue without a steady supply of refreshing, ice-cold drinks. And with so many delicious drink recipes out there, you’re sure to find something for everyone.
Perhaps the most important thing on a hot day is to keep your guests hydrated with ice water. But having water on the beverage menu doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun with the other drinks on offer. Check out these great summer drink recipes to get some inspiration.
Beverage-related items to add to your BBQ shopping list
- Party Ice
- Paddling pools to make DIY drink cooling stations
- Cooler buckets
- Cocktail garnishes like lemon twists
- Bottle Opener
- Soft drinks
Grilling equipment for the BBQ shopping list
One thing is for certain – you won’t be able to cook up a storm without your trusty bbq grilling equipment. While barbecues come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, the tools you’ll need are roughly the same.
- Grill fork
- Gas or charcoal
- A couple of towels
- Woodchips, if you’re using a smoker
- Drip trays and liners
- A BBQ cooking mat
Preparing a summer BBQ is no mean feat. Don’t get caught short and get enough BBQ food storage before the big day. Some ideas include:
- Ice baths
- Kitchen foil
- Cling film
- Food bags
- Mason jars
Condiments, marinades and sauces
From salad dressing to jerk chicken rub, it’s the little things that make a summer BBQ. While there are many off the shelf sauces available, there’s nothing quite like a homemade marinade.
- Brown Sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Jerk chicken seasoning
- Chargrilled steak seasoning
- Salad dressings
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Hot sauce
Dips and toppings for the BBQ party checklist
A summer BBQ is the perfect time to indulge in a sea of dips and toppings. Balsamic onion chutney on your burger? Houmous on your salad? Add these to your BBQ shopping checklist and you’re bound to please the crowd.
- Green chilli relish
Meat and Fish for the perfect summer BBQ
From steak to prawns, there are definitely a few firm meat and fish favourites to put on your BBQ shopping list.
- Beef or venison steaks
- Chicken thighs
- Minted lamb chops
- Beef ribs – these are divine cooked with some smoking chips
- Salmon or tuna steaks
- Giant king prawns
Other chilled items
When you’re so focused on what’s going on the grill, it’s easy to forget about the other bits that make a BBQ so delicious. Make sure you add a few other chilled items to your BBQ shopping list, including:
- Butter or a butter alternative
- Cheddar cheese
- Burger cheese (if you’re a fan!)
- A selection of other cheeses
- Soft drinks
Other essential BBQ food items
- Bread rolls – lots of them!
- Hot dog rolls
- Brioche buns
- Pita bread
- Quick cook rice
BBQ side dishes
Accompany your summer BBQ with a scrumptious selection of sides. Serve up a spread of sides to please the crowd and keep bellies from rumbling. Some ideas include:
- Minty potato salad (new potatoes, butter, fresh mint)
- Barbecued corn on the cob (corn on the cob, oil and seasoning)
- Sweet potato wedges (sweet potatoes, oil and seasoning)
- Greek salad, served on ice (feta cheese, red onions, olives, leaves, tomatoes, The Ice Co Party Ice)
End your summer BBQ on a sweet note with some delicious desserts. Whether you opt for barbecued banana or something more extravagant, there’s plenty of ideas to please the crowd. Some BBQ dessert favourites include:
- Barbecued bananas with vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Toasted marshmallows
- Giant marshmallows
- Eton Mess (meringues, strawberries, double cream, icing sugar)
- Fruit salad (grapes, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, apple, cream)
- Party Ice to create a bed of ice to keep it cool.
Barbecue cleaning equipment
When your summer BBQ is over, getting everything cleaned effectively makes it easier next time around. There’s nothing worse than having an impromptu BBQ only to find a grill covered in leftovers!
- Sponges and washing up cloths
- Washing up liquid
- Wire brushes
- BBQ cleaning spray
- A deep bristle cleaning brush
- Kitchen roll
- A washing up bowl