Dinner party theme or not, a shindig with friends is always a hoot. But if you’re looking for easy themes to try this season, read on…
There’s nothing wrong with cooking a delicious meal, but let’s be honest – a dinner party theme definitely livens things up! Even if you’re the King or Queen of hosting dinner parties, there may be times when you’re left trying to find a new dinner party theme.
If you’re struggling for inspiration, check out these five ideas to keep up your sleeve.
Around the world
If you and your friends love to try new things, an around the world dinner party theme could be the one you should try. Assign a country to each guest and ask them to bring a drink and a dish from the region, before all coming together to share your delicious wares. You won’t just get to try loads of new food and drink, you’ll have less to prepare, too. Double win!
An example menu might include:
- Mexico – Pork Pibil and a Picante or Spicy Tequila
- Spain – Garlic and chilli gambas with Sangria.
- Britain – Coronation chicken sandwiches with a Grapefruit Spritz.
- Italy – Antipasti and ciabatta with an Aperol Spritz.
Bohemian backyard BBQ
With warm, light nights, it’d be rude not to enjoy all the great outdoors has to offer. For a relaxed dinner party theme, opt for a bohemian backyard BBQ, full of delicious grilled food. Get the vibe right with a few simple steps:
- Dot relaxed seating areas around the garden, with cushions, throws and side tables
- Hang up some bohemian-style fairy lights to create the ultimate ambience
- Check out our dinner party playlist on Spotify
- Use as many textures, colours and sizes of rugs and blankets as you can find
- Create a relaxed party menu with plenty of veggie options and delicious drinks
Cocktails and canapes
- From a full on costume theme like Gangsters and Molls to a smart chic vibe, this is a particularly versatile dinner party theme
- Choose canapes you can make ahead of time, such as melon and prosciutto skewers, salmon and cream cheese pinwheels, mini meatballs and quiche bites
- Match your cocktails to the flavours in the food. Need help? Consult our blog for more inspiration!
- Don’t forget to stock up on the right kinds of ice and enough garnish ingredients
- Have some fun dinner party games up your sleeve!
A Mexican fiesta party
What better way to embrace the summer vibes than with a Mexican fiesta dinner party theme with your closest amigos?
- Mexican food and drink has a fun, summery feel and caters for most tastes. Plan your food and drink menu in advance, and don’t forget the Mexican cocktail ingredients! Here are some of our favourite Tequila cocktails to try.
- Ask your guests to come dressed in traditional attire, such as a charro outfit or Mexican fiesta clothes
- Make sure you have a stash of straw sombrero hats and faux moustaches for anyone who ‘forgets’ to dress for the occasion
- Decorate your place with vibrant, Mexican-inspired, bright décor
- Line up your party playlist full of Mexican party anthems. We love this Mexican Fiesta Party Music Playlist that’s perfect for getting your guests in the mood.
Film-inspired dinner party
Whether you’re Harry Potter’s number one fan, or love a bit of Willy Wonka, dinner parties are the perfect time to unleash your inner Heston Blumenthal. Three course dinner chewing gum, anyone?
- Ask guests to come as their favourite film character – or if you’re going for a one film feel, get them to pick a character from the chosen film.
- Don’t forget to create a paparazzi station to capture those famous faces!
- Tailor the food and drinks to the film you’ve chosen. Some examples might include:
Film: Eat, Pray Love
Quote: “I’m in love. I’m having a relationship with my pizza.” – Liz Gilbert
Serve: Pizza and Pink Ginberry
Film: Pulp Fiction
Quote: “They call it a ‘royale with cheese’” – Jules
Serve: Cheeseburgers and OJ-based cocktails
Want more? Try our world cup themed party!